“Some days a roar echoes in the air shushing the buzzing of the valley. As a hiss it comes from far away and it spreads strongly stunning the ether, forcing blacksmithes and carpenters, potters and knitters, mechanics and butchers to stop for a moment dreaming of a different life” (*)
It’s the roar of a Ferrari’s engine which is released in the air of Maranello.
Two names, Ferrari and Maranello, just one feeling… passion!
A passion for the myth of the “Prancing Horse”, with its factory, the Museum, Enzo Ferrari’s Auditorium, and other numerous evidences which are perceptible everywhere… you can feel them in the streets, in the squares, in the gardens and shops.
A thousand-year old tradition in food and wine production, carefully guarded by craftsmen or family run companies.
Balsamic vinegar, raw ham, Parmesan cheese, Lambrusco wine and Nocino, homemade filled pasta and many more rural flavours belonging to a traditional cousine.
Maranello is surrounded by rolling hills and it still has the characteristics of an ancient Emilian hamlet.
The daily urban sounds are joined by the ones from the suburbs, they recall the whispers of the leafy branches of the trees which have been lovingly admired numerous times by writers and photographers.
In the evenings you can hear birds chirping in search for a shelter among the branches and small insects singing, the wind blowing through the branches and the slow falling of the leaves on their way back to Mother Earth.
Respect for Nature and deep interest in advanced technology coexist in this land of transition, the myth of speed in contrast to the slowness required to produce the local “black gold”, Balsamic Vinegar, the good living of the past and the great innovation.
The Land chosen by Enzo Ferrari
(*) Quote: Roberto Valentini – Terre Rosse. Ed. Todaro
Maranello is located within the Emilia Romagna region, in the southern part of Modena, only 18 km far from the city centre. It is on Strada Provinciale nr. 3, also known as Giardini Street. It is one of the municipality of the Pedemontana Area and along with Sassuolo, Formigine and Fiorano Modenese it is part of the well known Ceramic District. The residential area of this county town is surrounded by the lowland with factories and fields and the first hills which lead to the Emilian Appenines.
Visitors are amazed by the landscape which could be defined as sort of unexpected where the gullies, the chimney stacks, the woods, the extended areas of tiles, the farming and animal husbandry cohabit with advanced industries.
Maranello is the land of Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan cheese and Modena local ham, DOP.
Maranello has a very long history: archaeological finds from the Bronze Age (1800-1000 BC) were found as well as others from previous ages.
It is known there were settlements from Ligures Friniates populations and Roman Legions, who were conquering Italy, enslaved them between 189 and 179 BC.
The evidence which confirms the Roman existence can be seen on one of the main roads crossing the centre, “Via Claudia”: it used to be an ancient path dated back to Etruscan civilization, it was an alternative way to “Via Emilia” and was realized by consul Claudio who gave the street his name.
The name Maranello is thought to be a direct reference to a family, Araldini or Arardini, from Marano (a nearby town in the South) that moved here and built a castle, still existing.
Reconstructions were done after the earthquake in 1501.
The castle and the houses around it are called Old Maranello. In 1936 the manor was bought by Prof. Giuseppe Graziosi, a famous sculptor and painter, who lived and worked there. The castle is now owned by private citizens.
The previously mentioned Giardini Street, former Statale Abetone, benefits from an important location because it goes past Ferrari’s Factory. Duke Francesco III wanted it to unite the Modena Duchy with the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in order to support and facilitate the economical and social development of the Country.
They started building the street in 1766 and completed it ten years later: it represented a major accomplishment, almost 100 km alongside Modena territory, from the county town to the border with Tuscany. There were post offices, taverns, fountains and places where tourists could recover or rest… a real “ante litteram” motorway.
The project and the direction of work were assigned to Eng. Pietro Giardini who needed 3000 workers to complete the work. Duke Francesco III was enthusiastic about the result and decided to give the street the name of its engineer.
Maranello gained the fame of a remarkable touristic setting thanks to its location sited at the bottom of the Tosco Emiliano Appennines and Giardini Street. At the cross-road between Giardini and Claudia Streets the town has developed through the years as it is now and it has been refered to New Maranello for a long time.
Maranello Municipality is also composed of Pozza, Gorzano, Torre Maina, Torre delle Oche, San Venanzio and Fogliano.
Maranello and Ferrari have been closely linked for more than 70 years.
Due to an agreement with Alfa Romeo, Enzo Ferrari (1898-1988) didn’t start a business in the automotive sector as a first step. It was then followed by the creation of a new brand, Auto Avio Costruzioni, located in Modena at the former headquarter of Scuderia Ferrari in Trento and Trieste street.
In 1943 Ferrari was forced to leave Modena because of the War and he decided to move to Maranello where he had a house and some land.
Enzo Ferrari wanted to become a manufacturer of racing cars and he was glad about the decentralization imposed during the War because it was part of his global project. The land he had bought in Modena, where the headquarter of Scuderia Ferrari would be established in 1923, was getting too close to the centre in the early 40s. He had already bought new nearby lots and he knew it would have been difficult to arrange new improvements to the building in the future. Today Scuderia Ferrari is next to Garibaldi Square.
Maranello was his second choice. In fact he first searched for a lot of land in Formigine, but the negotiations were interrupted. The Mayor of Maranello, Giuseppe Ferrari Amorotti, informed him about an available lot of land located next to his property. He met Mr and Mrs Colombini (Mr. Dante Colombini and Mrs Augusta Bertani), the owners of that land called “Fondo Cavani”. As it was used to be done between Gentlemen of that time the negotiations were concluded during their second meeting by shaking hands and celebrating with a fancy dinner made by Augusta who was a remarkable cook. All the information to retrace the origin of the story was given by Fernanda Colombini, Mr and Mrs Colombini’s daughter.
It might have happened before the end of November, 1942. With Auto Avio Costruzioni Scuderia Ferrari head paper, dated November 30th, and on a stamped paper of 6 Italian Lire, dated December 3rd, Enzo Ferrari presented to the Mayor of Maranello his first application of building permit in order to install a prefabricated metal building in his property, the above mentioned “Fondo Cavani”.
With laudable timing the Mayor authorized it on December, 4th. . It was the first of a long series of events that have enabled Ferrari to become the plant we know today. In the second application dated January 12th 1943 they referred to agricultural use because in those days the Mechanic Industry was in Modena. All the lands part of the agricultural business were listed in the application, where the future factory would be founded, and consisted of Fontanile, Convoglio, Nuovo, San Martino and Cavani which were about 108 “biolche modenesi”, a local unit of measure equal to 2836 square metres.
Since the factory was founded the relationship between Maranello and Ferrari has always developed and improved.