The first library of Maranello

In 1951 the first library opened in Maranello, established to preserve publications and spread culture among the inhabitants.

After the first school, the first pharmacy and the first bank, it was time for the first library in Maranello. The City Council approved construction on 18 March 1951, and the first set of books consisted of 334 volumes purchased from the Centro Diffusione Stampa di Modena.

The purpose of the new library was “collecting and storing publications of Italian and foreign authors, ancient and modern, in order to represent the general evolution of knowledge.”

The new library also brought up the issue of disseminating popular culture among the citizens, and promoting education and knowledge, thereby meeting the city’s moral needs and contributing to the growth of civil society. A really free society, because it had access to culture.

 

Bibliography

Silvano Soragni, “Maranello, 1860… da Libero Comune a laboriosa città”, Artioli Editore, 2011