Maranello is located within the Emilia Romagna region, in the southern part of Modena, only 18 km far from the city centre. It is on Strada Provinciale nr. 3, also known as Giardini Street. It is one of the municipality of the Pedemontana Area and along with Sassuolo, Formigine and Fiorano Modenese it is part of the well known Ceramic District. The residential area of this county town is surrounded by the lowland with factories and fields and the first hills which lead to the Emilian Appenines.
Visitors are amazed by the landscape which could be defined as sort of unexpected where the gullies, the chimney stacks, the woods, the extended areas of tiles, the farming and animal husbandry cohabit with advanced industries.
Maranello is the land of Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan cheese and Modena local ham, DOP.
Maranello has a very long history: archaeological finds from the Bronze Age (1800-1000 BC) were found as well as others from previous ages.
It is known there were settlements from Ligures Friniates populations and Roman Legions, who were conquering Italy, enslaved them between 189 and 179 BC.
The evidence which confirms the Roman existence can be seen on one of the main roads crossing the centre, “Via Claudia”: it used to be an ancient path dated back to Etruscan civilization, it was an alternative way to “Via Emilia” and was realized by consul Claudio who gave the street his name.
The name Maranello is thought to be a direct reference to a family, Araldini or Arardini, from Marano (a nearby town in the South) that moved here and built a castle, still existing.
Reconstructions were done after the earthquake in 1501.
The castle and the houses around it are called Old Maranello. In 1936 the manor was bought by Prof. Giuseppe Graziosi, a famous sculptor and painter, who lived and worked there. The castle is now owned by private citizens.
The previously mentioned Giardini Street, former Statale Abetone, benefits from an important location because it goes past Ferrari’s Factory. Duke Francesco III wanted it to unite the Modena Duchy with the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in order to support and facilitate the economical and social development of the Country.
They started building the street in 1766 and completed it ten years later: it represented a major accomplishment, almost 100 km alongside Modena territory, from the county town to the border with Tuscany. There were post offices, taverns, fountains and places where tourists could recover or rest… a real “ante litteram” motorway.
The project and the direction of work were assigned to Eng. Pietro Giardini who needed 3000 workers to complete the work. Duke Francesco III was enthusiastic about the result and decided to give the street the name of its engineer.
Maranello gained the fame of a remarkable touristic setting thanks to its location sited at the bottom of the Tosco Emiliano Appennines and Giardini Street. At the cross-road between Giardini and Claudia Streets the town has developed through the years as it is now and it has been refered to New Maranello for a long time.
Maranello Municipality is also composed of Pozza, Gorzano, Torre Maina, Torre delle Oche, San Venanzio and Fogliano.