Square, Coat of Arms and Town Hall
Piazza della Libertà: the square in the city center, the heart of Maranello. Its history is recent. It was, in fact, built after the crisis of 1929, in order to counteract unemployment and give work to the population. It was the Fascist era and the name chosen for the new space was Piazza Roma. It was then given its current name, Piazza della Libertà, only after the end of the war.
During the Fascist period, the square was used as a space for exercising and gymnastics recitals. Then, in 1938, it became the seat of the new Town Hall, built in a rationalist style, still home to municipal offices today. At around the same period, Maranello was authorized to have its own coat of arms. The decision came in 1931, and the coat of arms that was chosen depicted a pear tree, entwined with a vine plant, with its roots embedded in a fertile meadow. The tree signifies “tenacity” and, along with the vine, refers to the main crops of the area, for a long time characterized by a prevailing agricultural economy.
In the year 2000, artist Mario Montanari made a mosaic with Maranello’s coat of arms, right on the pavement of Piazza della Libertà: 16,000 marble tiles and semi-precious stones from all over the world. Almost one tile per inhabitant, as witness to the spirit of cohesion and the hospitality of the city.
Storytelling with Intersezioneby