Church of San Biagio
The idea of building a new parish church took shape in 1894: the ancient parish of Maranello stood next to the Castle. However, by then, it was inconvenient, distant, and falling to pieces, as well as being rather dangerous to reach in winter, when lots of snow fell and the road became a sheet of ice. However, not everyone agreed on the new construction, and the debate was even harsher than expected.
The initiative of the building was promoted by landowners from Maranello, but it was the pastor himself who was contrary to it. Don Gaetano Masinelli did not want a new church. He preferred to fix and expand the ancient one, near the Castle. This is how a “tug-of-war” began, which continued for a year, complicated by another problem: a suitable area to build the new church could not be found.
When the area was finally identified, the question was put to a vote: 170 out of 182 family heads in Maranello were in favor of the new San Biagio. In 1895, works were finally able to begin on the basis of the project created by the engineering architect of Modena, Carlo Barbieri.
Despite the initial debates, the construction was particularly admired by the community. In fact, many citizens from Maranello participated in passing along the bricks from the Varini furnace to the square of the new San Biagio. The church was open to worship in 1899, while the bell tower was inaugurated on 15th August 1913 with a great ringing of its bells.
The same that today toll every time Ferrari brings home a victory.
Storytelling with Intersezioneby