Castle of Maranello
Before being the city that it is today, Maranello was a medieval fief gathered around the Castle. The ancient village was, in fact, under the control of the Calcagnini family from 1464 until the Unification of Italy.
The Castle is still standing, overlooking the inhabited area, and has very ancient origins. There are no documents that tell us exactly about its history, but some remains speak clearly: since the Middle Ages, there was a fortified defensive structure on the site, alongside a church, the ancient church of San Biagio.
In 1501, a strong earthquake shook the area, destroying a large part of the defensive fortress. The Castle was then rebuilt, in the form we see it today, with all its surrounding buildings. Although over the centuries Maranello’s inhabited area developed towards the flat lands, for a long time the Castle remained the seat of the parish, the elementary school, and the municipal offices, which were then transferred to a more central position in the early 1900s.
The Castle remained a private property even after the Unification of Italy, and it still is today. Among its most famous owners, we can remember the artist, Giuseppe Graziosi, who lived there between 1936 and 1942, making the old church of San Biagio, by now deconsecrated, his own sculpturing studio.
Storytelling with Intersezioneby